Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Mongolian Beef - Kylie Kwong 's Recipe

Years ago, I tried Mongolian Beef. It was a sweet sticky stir fry from a local Chinese take away shop in Perth. It was yucky and have nothing to do with Mongolian Cuisine.




I have been collecting small recipe booklets from our weekend newspaper reads. One of the booklets was from the famous Kylie Kwong who brought Chinese cooking too households in Australia. I tend to stay away from her recipes because I usually look towards my grandmother for some inspiration for home cooked meals.

I nearly flipped the page when I saw "Mongolian Beef" as one of the featured recipes. Interestingly enough though, it featured beef mince and salted cabbage. Especially the salted cabbage- can it really make a difference?

The end result? The salted cabbage added texture and crunch to the overall dish. I like how easy it is to eat this with some rice. Best of all, it is an one pot dish. Some fresh chopped chili and spring onions-and a meal is done.

I'm still not sure if it is Mongolian, but at least it is delicious to eat!


Mongolian Beef (Serves 5)
600 grams beef mince
5 cups of shredded Chinese cabbage (I had english cabbage though)
2 tsp sea salt
2 tablespoon of shao hsing wine
2 tablespoon of hoi sin sauce
1 tablespoon of oyster sauce
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1 carrot shredded
1 red pepper sliced finely
3/4 cup of sliced spring onions.

marinate
2 tablespoons of shao hsing wine
1 tablespoon of light soy
1 tablespoon of corn flour
garlic cloves diced
1/2 tsp of sesame oil

Marinate beef mince for 30 mins.

Place cabbage and sea salt in a bowl. Mix well. Stand for 15 mins, then rinse under cold water and drain. Squeeze out any excess liquid.

Heat pan till out. Fry beef, and break up lumps. Pour in sauces and fry for 30 seconds. Toss in cabbage, carrot, red pepper and fry for min. Add spring onions. Toss. Remove from heat. Spoon beef onto bed of rice. Top with spring onions and sliced chili.

4 comments:

Cynthia said...

This sounds like a nice fast-cooked dish. I might head out and get some mince and make this for dinner.

I love Kylie Kwong's Food.

tigerfish said...

Not sure if I have tried a authentic Mongolian Beef. The one in the US seems to have been "americanized" :O

Noob Cook said...

Mongolian or not, it definitely looks delicious esp with white rice. Yum!

Little Corner of Mine said...

The Mongolian beef here doesn't have salted cabbage for sure. Nevertheless, it looks delicious!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...